Do you have to seal your pavers to maintain their appearance for many years? This is a question we are asked often. You don’t need to fill your pavers, but filling them has many benefits. Here are a few of the benefits!
Sealing can help to keep pavers looking new all year round. Sealants can give pavers an attractive glossy finish that brings out the textures and colors of the paver material.
Shields Against Contaminants
If you do not maintain your pavers properly, they will likely accumulate dirt, grime, rust, and stains. They can also become susceptible to mildew, algae, and moss over time, which is difficult to remove without the proper equipment. The sealer will prevent these contaminants from sticking to the pavers. It will be easier to remove the contaminants without using harsh chemicals or elbow grease.
Makes Cleaning Easier
Your pavers will inevitably get dirty. Whether it is from spilled drinks or oil from your vehicle, they are going to be contaminated. It’s easy to clean and maintain sealed pavers. Instead of spending a lot of money and time to restore your pavers to their former glory, you can use a pressure washer or garden hose on low pressure to remove most stains.
Protect Yourself from the harsh Australian climate
Sealants with UV protection properties are essential in Australia, where UV radiation is high. Moisture can cause damage to your pavers. Moisture can penetrate pavers easily due to their porous nature. Sealers prevent water from getting into the paver, and they protect it from excess moisture.
Increases the Longevity of
You don’t want to replace your pavers in ten years or less. Sealing pavers can help them last longer. Some pavers are more durable than others. Sealers can make pavers more durable and prevent weeds and other unwanted invaders from causing them to move.
How often do I need to reseal my pavers?
The type of pavers you have will determine how often they need to be sealed. It may be necessary to reseal travertine every year, while concrete and limestone are more durable. The type of sealer that you use will also affect the answer. Sealants that are thinner tend not to wear as well and produce a film. You can save money by choosing a high-quality sealer at the beginning. Spending a bit more upfront may be more expensive, but not having your pavers resealed often will make it worth the extra cost.
Can you seal your pavers yourself?
You can absolutely do it! It’s best to research which sealer will work best with your paver material before proceeding.
How To Choose The Right Sealer
You can choose between several sealers. To ensure a perfect finish, it is important to select the correct one. There are two types of sealers: penetrating and wet-look sealers.
The wet-look sealers can give the paver the appearance of a wet surface and add depth and shine to its color. Penetrating pavers do not alter the paver’s color or give it a ‘wet’ look. Instead, they maintain their appearance.
How do I seal my pavers?
Sealing your pavers can save you money and is easy. This is a step-by-step guide to packing your pavers.
- Resealing your pavers is best done on a sunny day. Rain can damage the finish.
- Before you can reseal your pavers, they will need to be cleaned. You can do this by using a low-pressure cleaner. It should remove any stains or dirt that has been stuck on. Then, you will need to allow your pavers to dry completely before resealing them. Clean your pavers early in the day on a sunny, warm day. Then, reseal them in the afternoon. If you can, clean your pavers in the morning on a warm sunny day and reseal them in the afternoon.
- It would be best if you pulled out any weeds that are growing between your pavers. Make sure you remove the roots.
- Pour some sealer into a paint tray and stir it. Use a paintbrush to apply the sealer to any edges. Use a roller attachment with a long handle to apply the sealant.
- If necessary, apply a second layer.
- Wait at least several hours before walking on the pavers.
This article should have given you a better idea as to why sealing pavers can be a great idea. Filling them will ensure that they look great and keep their integrity for years to come. Pavers are durable, lasting for decades without much maintenance. Browse our collection of pavers at Bonita Stone. We have something to suit every budget and taste.